Thursday, May 27, 2010 @ 10:06:00 AM - Written by Laura Cootsona - 1 comments
I recently gave an address at the local hospital to a group of stalwart volunteers from throughout the region who work to engage dozens of volunteers in the work of caring in our hospitals. So I suggested that volunteerism (fundraising too!) involves both passion and discipline. I suggested a few ideas about how they might lead with passion. I started with the personal side. I asked them: how are YOU going to change your experience as a volunteer?
- Know why you are there--what do you contribute?
- Do an inventory of the why and the what of your involvement?
- Write a mission statement.
- Check your motives. Do a little soul searching.
- Think about who will replace you and what might you do next...from the very beginning. Hold your role lightly. You can and will be replaced
- Diversify your life: don't put all your eggs in one volunteer basket. There is such a thing as "workoholic volunteers."
- Think of delegating as sharing. Don't hoard your opportunities--INVOLVE others.